Saturday 4 July 2009

Viva La Manga!

I’ve just flown in from a glorious 4 days at La Manga, where I managed to play two rounds – one on the South and one on the North course – before getting down to work filming a couple of Hell Holes and a HILF for www.showmethegolf.com.

It was my first time at La Manga, so I didn’t really know quite what to expect. I guess I’ve grown up with La Manga always lurking somewhere in the distant background of my consciousness, but never knew what it was all about and whether or not it would really be for me. I’ve never really been one for a resort holiday, so I probably came in with a few preconceptions and a little bit of baggage. Well, not much baggage at all actually, as I took the golf club rental option, and an excellent decision it was too – a very nice set of Callaways, and a Big Bertha that I just kept on hitting straight. It’s always a good sign when the rental clubs are decent; it just shows that they take their golf seriously.

The South course is definitely the tougher of the two courses, and at 6,499 metres off the Whites and 6, 127 off the Yellows it’s not short. It’s the perfect course to play a competitive event on as it is fundamentally fair and transparent in that you won’t be at a disadvantage if you’ve not played it before. There are no significant elevations, but plenty of water to avoid as well as some massive ditches which are strategically placed to take your round apart. And lots and lots of palm trees – the resort’s emblem. Apparently there are over two thousand palm trees across the estate; my kind of tree really – not much foliage and therefore quite hard to hit.

On the subject of ditches, the 18th particularly comes to mind, and we’ve filmed it as a Hell Hole. It starts with a tricky drive – water to the left and right and a dirty great bunker slap bang in the middle of the fairway. Survive all that and you are then faced with a death or glory option – everything you’ve got to get over the ditch – well, more like a gorge – or lay-up. For me it wasn’t a hard choice, but if you’re got to post a score in a competition, you could be tempted. And there’s no margin for error. And if you get the distance, then there’s the odd bunker or 4 to avoid. But apart from that, no dramas!

The North Course is much more of a chill out course – a perfect remedy if you’ve been beaten up on the South Course, and want to remind yourself why you actually love golf. I shot the lights out on the front 9 – 21 Stapleford points I thank you - but lost concentration in the heat and limped in with an apologetic 11 more points. But I know there is a good score out there to be had, and at 5429 metres off the Yellows you don’t need to be hitting the ball long.

Between the three courses there’s plenty of variety, which is essential if you’re going to spend more a week at a resort. What I also loved is the fact that two of the courses start and finish right in the heart of the resort, so you really feel that golf is central to the whole experience, and not a side show.

On the non-golfing front I have to report that all is dandy. There’s a great pool, generous, modern and comfortable rooms with great beds – not something ever to be underestimated- and a wide choice of restaurants so you never have to eat in the same place twice – unless you want to of course, and the final restaurant of our visit is a place I’d go back to in a heartbeat.
The resort has a little beach area where La Cala serves some fabulous sea food – we had wonderful prawns and a Cuttlefish served whole and in garlic.

We flew out with Monarch Airlines, who fly into Alicante from London Gatwick, Birmingham, Luton, and Manchester. They also fly into Murcia from Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester – sorry Luton. Fares, including taxes, start from £46.50 one way and £76.99 return. I’d recommend the return option as my swimming isn’t up to much, especially when I am taking my clubs with me.

We were also joined on the trip by our new travel partners- www.yourgolftravel.com – where you can get more details on how to get yourselves out to La Manga.

No comments: