Tuesday 28 April 2009

Royal Ashdown Forest West Course

So the Old Course tends to get all the plaudits, but the par 68 West Course at Royal Ashdown Forest is more than worth a look at. At 5606 yards off the whites it's not long, but it's a great test, with a fantastic closing run of holes. In fact it's a complete joy pretty much from start to finish, although it's the turn and the back nine that really grabbed my attention.  

It was all going so well for me until the 18th. 5 skins being played for, and I hit a decent enough drive to the right of the fairway. But this is where the trouble starts. At 435 yards you need a bit of length to be in position to get a chance at the green, as there's a dirty great stream 30 yards in front of the green, and water to to the left. Tried to play safe and lay up but hacked it into some rubbish on the left. No dramas as my rival had found some water early on. Got it back in play, but a little too near the new foot bridge that they are building over the stream. Managed to chip straight in the water. Dohhh! Worst shot of the day, 5 skins lost to a bleeding 6. But I'm certainly going back. 

It's also easy to get onto, even at the weekends, and doesn't cost a fortune. At the moment you can  play for £21 after 1.30pm on a Saturday or Sunday. I think that's until the end of May, so I'd suggest you get on with it.

This has to be some of the best golf to be had in Mid Sussex - and like the Old Course it doesn't have bunkers either, which always gets my vote.

JohnD

No comments: